October 2018 Newsletter
Goodbye September and Hello October!!! Welcome back Parents, Students and Teachers.
At this time we would also like to welcome our new students, parents and teachers to the VPD family. We look forward to seeing all of you throughout the year and look forward to yet another exciting year as we celebrate Vanessa Plettell Dance 30th Anniversary!
We are delighted to say that our first day back to classes went very well and can’t believe that we are already into the month of October. We hope that in just a short time your children have been back at dance, they are enjoying their classes.
- For those that are new to our studio we will be issuing monthly newsletters that will be emailed each month. This is a great way for our parents and students to be informed of and to keep in touch with what is important. Parents, please take the time to carefully read the information that is provided to ensure that you and your children understand. If at any time you have questions, or would like a hard copy of the newsletter, please do not hesitate to come see Wendy De Marinis at the front desk.
- We also post our Newsletters, Events and any other important information on our website, please visit – www.vanessaplettelldance.ca
- New this year, our office hours will be changing for anyone that may have questions for the front desk. Wendy will be available to answer any of your questions Tuesday 5:15-7:45pm Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 5:15-8:00pm and Saturday 8:00am until 4:30pm. If you are not available to come in between those office hours and have and any questions or concerns, you can always email the studio at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be sure to get back to you at my first opportunity.
- Lastly, please review our information board located at the front of the studio, as we post our information there as well.
We understand from time to time there may be issues that arise and you may feel the need to speak directly your child’s teacher. In the event you have a serious concern you must first contact the front desk, with the subject matter and second arrange for a meeting. Please note a minimum of 24 to 48 hour waiting period may apply. Please note that it is very difficult to discuss any matters in between classes with the teachers.
This year Vanessa Plettell has decided that we will not be holding any ADAPT Jazz and Tap Exams. We will continue to work on all the material and syllabus and our plan is to hold exams for those students early November in 2019. Should you have any question in regards to this matter please come see Wendy at the front desk.
If you have brought in lightly used items to sell we ask that you go through the boxes and please take your belongings back.
Just a quick reminder that classes are still running on Friday October 5th, 2018 however, there are NO CLASSES running from Saturday October 6th to Monday October 8th, 2018 as the studio will be closed for the Thanksgiving Long Weekend. From our family to yours we would
like to take this time and wish each and every one of you a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.
Parent Viewing Week
Our teachers have done a tremendous job working with your children since September 8th, 2018 and we would like to show you the parents what they have learned up until now. We will be holding our parent viewing week from Tuesday October 18th until Saturday October 22nd, 2018. We understand that this is exciting time for a lot of parents however, we ask that you please respect each class with no talking as the teacher is still teaching their lesson. We also ask if your child has more than one of the same classes and is offered more than once a week that you pick one of the classes to view. Photos and video taking is permitted during class time. If there are any further changes to the schedule listed below you will be notified. I apologize if there are any classes that may not be listed. If you do not see your child’s class please let me know.
Tuesday October 16th, 2018 – Advanced 1 Ballet – 5:00-6:15, Intermediate – 6:15-7:30pm, Intermediate Foundation – 7:30-8:30pm, Intermediate Contemporary/Lyrical – 5:00-6:00pm, Pre Intermediate Contemporary/Lyrical – 6:00-7:00pm, Junior Contemporary/Lyrical 7:00-7:45, Junior Jazz 2 – 5:45-6:45pm
Wednesday October 17th, 2018 – Grade 4 Ballet – 5:00-6:15pm, Pre Intermediate Acro – 5:00- 6:00pm, Junior Acro 6:15-7:15pm, Youth Teen Ballet – 6:15-7:15, Youth Teen Jazz – 7:30-8:30pm, Grade 3 Ballet 5:00-6:00pm
Thursday October 18th, 2018 – Advanced 1 Ballet – 5:00-6:30pm, Intermediate 6:30-8:00pm, Pre Intermediate Hip Hop 5:15-6:15, Junior Hip Hop – 6:15-7:00pm – Intermediate Hip Hop 7:00- 8:00pm, Grade 2 Ballet 5:00-6:00pm
Friday October 19th, 2018 – Intermediate 1 Jazz – 5:00-6:30pm, Pre Intermediate 3 Jazz 6:30- 7:45pm Junior Jazz 2 5:15-6:15pm, Youth Teen Ballet 6:15-7:15pm, Youth Teen Jazz 7:15-8:15pm, Junior Tap 2 – 6:30-7:30pm
Saturday October 20th 2018 – Grade 3 Ballet – 8:45-9:45am, Junior Jazz 3 – 10:00-11:00am, Grade 4 Ballet – 11:15-12:15, Intermediate – 12:15-1:45, Advanced 1 – 1:45-3:15pm, Pre Primary 8:30-9:15, Tiny Tappers 8:00-8:30am, Pre Jr/Jr. Jazz 1 9:15-10:15, Primary Ballet 10:15-11:15am, Grade 1 Ballet – 11:15-12:15pm, Intermediate Foundation – 12:15-1:30pm,
Grade 2 Ballet – 1:30-2:30pm, Creative Ballet – 9:30-10:15am, Junior Tumblers – 11:30-12:30pm, Junior Tap 3 12:30-1:30pm, Pre Intermediate Tap 3 – 2:00-3:00pm
Halloween Costumes and Bake Sale
Saturday October 27th, 2018. We will be holding our first bake sale of the year. We always look forward to seeing all the creative goodies that are brought in. If you are unable make something at home for our bake sale we always appreciate store bought goodies as well. Donations are always excepted as wellJ. As there are some students in our school with peanut allergies, please be sure to bring in items in that our peanut free. We want to keep everyone safe!!! All proceeds collected go towards props, and items for our year end show.
Also on Saturday October 27th, 2018 let’s continue the fun and let’s see your young ones come to class dressed up in their Halloween costumes.
As all the students will not be here as they will be out trick or tricking on Halloween we will not be open on Wednesday October 31, 2018.
Christmas Demo and Year End Show
Our Christmas Dance Demo will be taking place on Saturday December 15th, 2018 at Centre Pointe Theatre. If you are planning on going away and will not be able to attend the Christmas show kindly advise our studio in advance. More details will follow as this event approaches closer.
As well, please mark your calendars as our Year End Production will be held on the May Long Weekend Friday evening May 17th and Saturday Matinee May 18th, 2019 at Shenkman Theatre. The title of our show will be announced shortly!!!! Lots of information will follow as the event approaches closer.
For those students in COMPETITION – This year we will be participating in two competitions
- 1) Inspire Dance Competition – Friday April 5th to Sunday April 7th, 2019
- 2) Kick it Up – Thursday April 11th, to Sunday April 14th, 2019
Bad weather will be upon us before we know it brrrrrrr!!! It is the responsibility of the dancer/parent to call the studio where an announcement will be placed on our voicemail indicating whether or not classes will be cancelled due to bad weather, as we cannot always send emails in time regarding weather.
We are already noticing that a lot of students are forgetting their water bottles, please make sure that your child is coming to dance with a labelled water bottle and if you need to refill your water bottle please come see Wendy at the front desk.
- Please be sure that ALL items are labelled
- Please be sure that ALL shoes/boots are placed on our shoe rack
- Please be sure to bring a labelled water bottle each time your child is dancing
- Please be sure to contact the studio if your child will be absence
- Please be sure to keep all changing rooms neat and tidy
- Please be sure to inform the front desk of any information changes re: address, phone numbers, email address etc.
Congratulations to Payton Carter, Rielle Lefevre Hembroff, Capri Masferrer and Annabelle Hardy who all auditioned September 30th, 2018 and were accepted and will perform as a mice, in the Albert Ballet Nutcracker November 28th, 2018 to December 2nd, 2018 at the National Arts Centre