November 2018 Newsletter
Hello Parents and Students!
November already……how times flies!!!!
For those of you that were able to attend your child’s class during parent viewing week we hope that you had a wonderful time watching your children. We are happy to announce that parent viewing went very well, and appreciate those that took the time to send us your feedback. If you would still like to send us your feedback it is always welcomed. Hats off to our teachers for doing such a great job, as well as, to the students for working so hard!!!
Halloween at Vanessa Plettell Dance was a success, we were pleased to see so many students come to class dressed up. A special thank you goes out to our parents for taking the time and either making something going out to purchase something or giving us a donation for our bake sale. All of the proceeds collected will go towards props and other items for our year end show. THANK YOU!!
We would like to wish Katie Burnie and Santina De Marinis good luck as they will be participating in their final level of their Graded RAD work as they will be taking their Grade 8 Ballet Exam on Wednesday November 28th, 2018.
Good luck girls you will both do amazing!!!
CHRISTMAS PERFORMANCE INFO
DATE AND LOCATION – The show will be held on Saturday December 15th, 2018 at the Centrepointe Theatre, 101 Centrepointe Drive.
TICKETS – will be going on sale at the studio (front desk) on Saturday November 17th, 2018. Tickets are $20.00 per person. (CASH OR CHEQUE ONLY MADE PAYABLE TO LE JAZZ HOT DANCE COMPANY), Sorry no Visa, Mastercard, Debit.
Due to Fire Marshall Regulations, everyone in attendance at the Demonstration MUST have a ticket, this includes infants and toddlers.
The theatre can only hold up to 239 seats for the Junior Show and 199 seats for the senior show therefore, tickets are on a first come first served basis. We do ask that you respect all our families buying tickets and limit your ticket purchases to immediate family only. Should we have extra tickets closer to the show we will send a further email advising if any extra tickets are available for purchase.
Junior Show: 11:30am – 12:30pm, Senior Show: 3:30pm – 5:00pm
IMPORTANT – As there are only 5 weeks before our Christmas Show we are asking that each child make every effort in attending their classes, as we are already starting to work on our Christmas Show dances and we need ALL dancers in attendance.
A further schedule will follow closer to our Christmas Show indicating all details such as time of arrival, spacing, makeup etc.
We will be holding a dress rehearsal on Saturday December 8th, 2018. A time schedule will follow shortly indicating when your child will need to be here.
Please mark your calendars, on Friday December 14th, 2018 there will NO CLASSES running as we will be packing up the studio for the theatre and would like our dancers to be well rested for our show!
Each year we ask for your help in contributing a gift basket. These gift baskets are raffled off at our Christmas Show. Please bring in any contributions at your earliest convenience. A basket can be something you have that is unopened at home and would like to donate, as well you may also purchase a basket of your choice, and lastly if you are the owner of a restaurant and would like to donate a gift certificate those are always welcomed as well!
Videos and Cameras
No videos or cameras are permitted during the performance or rehearsals due to theatre rules. Flash cameras are dangerous to the performers. Should you wish to purchase a DVD we will be selling them in advance at the studio from Saturday November 17th until Thursday December 13th, 2018. DVD’s are $25.00 payable by Cash or Cheque (made payable to Le Jazz Hot). Please note that the DVD is filmed by a professional photographer, however, it is not a multi camera production with credits, fancy box and photos as our year end production. Always a great memory of your children performing.
Unable to Attend Christmas Performance
If you are planning on going away and your child is unable to perform in our Christmas Show, on Saturday December 15th, 2018 please let the front desk know so that we can inform the teacher.
Congratulations, to those students who have been selected to participate in competition this year. We are excited and look forward to getting Competition rehearsals underway. We are in talks with the Choreographers and once we know the time schedules from each of the teachers we will be sending out an email with rehearsal dates. Just a friendly reminder that our competition dates are:
- Inspire Dance Competition – Friday April 5 to Sunday April 7, 2019
- Kick it Up – Thursday April 11 to Sunday April 14, 2019
- We encourage everyone to take a moment to view our website which has been designed by Claire Brascoupe. Claire is a former student of Vanessa Plettell Dance. And is the daughter of our wonderful in house seamstress Carol Brascoupe.
- As we are receiving and trying on costumes for either competition or year-end show. This is a reminder that no video or photography is allowed in the change room or any part of the studio. Students are NOT ALLOWED to record any dances being choreographed unless instructed by the director or teacher.
- It is the responsibility of the dancer/parent to call the studio where an announcement will be placed on our voicemail indicating if the classes will be cancelled due to bad weather, or a city emergency that may prompt us to close the studio unexpectedly. We cannot always send emails in time regarding these matters.
- Many students are coming to class without a labelled water bottle. We do encourage that you pack a water bottle for your child.
- For the younger students we encourage parents to make sure their child uses the washroom before coming to class. When a student leaves it can be very disruptive to others.
- Students are reminded to place their shoes/boots on the shelve at the front entrance.
- The school is not responsible for any lost or stolen articles. All items should be labelled.
- Proper dress code is expected at ALL CLASSES. If you unsure of dress code or how your child’s hair should be please let me know.
- Communication – Should you wish to speak with a teacher an appointment must be made at the front desk with Wendy De Marinis. Communication with the teacher may not take place between classes.
- Courtesy – We have been noticed that when students are away we are not informed by phone or email. Please contact the office if your child is unable to make it to class. For those that do send us an email or call in we thank you.
DANCING QUEEN Celebrating 30 Years
This year our Year End Production is called Dancing Queen which will be held on the May Long Weekend at Shenkman Theatre on Friday May 17th, 2019 and Saturday May 18th, 2019. Please mark your calendars for these important dates.
- Saturday May 4th, 2019 – Rehearsal
- Sunday May 5th, 2019 – Picture Day
- Saturday May 11th, 2019 – Rehearsal
- Monday May 13th, 2019 – Rehearsal (First Half)
- Tuesday May 14th, 2019 – Rehearsal (Second Half)
- Thursday May 16th, 2019 – Tech Rehearsal & Spacing at theatre
- Friday May 17th, 2019 – Dress Rehearsal and Evening Performance
- Saturday May 18th, 2019 – Matinee Performance
***Please note Ms. Plettell will be holding scene rehearsal leading up to the show and as the show approaches closer these dates will be released. We ask that you kindly keep your calendar free from Wednesday May 1st, 2019 until show time.